Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Bar Exam Studying -- Writing an Evidence Essay

Ugh.....

I just attempted to write my first essay for Evidence. I find Evidence essays really hard to write and organize. There appears to be a few different ways you can do it. I tend to talk about relevance of the evidence offered generally, than the form that this evidence takes, whether it is proper for it to be presented in that form, and if so whether there are any exceptions to admissibility of the evidence.

Of course Bar/Bri's sample answers do it totally differently, and they would admit a lot of stuff I would keep out. It makes me feel like my approach is totally wrong, which is very frustrating. It's hard enough to organize an evidence essay without thinking you're on the right track and doing it in a way that makes sense to you, only to read the sample answer and see that you totally messed up.

Bar/Bri has not been everything I hoped it would be. Granted, I know that most people who take Bar/Bri pass the bar exam. But they expect it to be a real review, and that you already know everything and just need a few hours of lecture to be able to answer really hard questions. I don't learn that way. I'm just not smart enough to pull that off. I do things much more slowly, a lot with open book in the beginning, to give myself a chance to process it all and make sure I am not learning rules the wrong way. I feel like a total Bar/Bri failure because I can't do their schedule all the way as quickly as they want us to. I know other people are having this experience as well. But it's just discouraging.

And now I have to deal with having written a totally crappy Evidence essay and without a real stand-by method to use in the future. I'm going to have to figure out how to do it. But not tonight. It's 12:30am and I'm tired so it will have to wait until the morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home