Friday, June 01, 2007

So apparently your grade on the bar exam does matter (to some)

I realize that by posting this, readers who don't know me will now know where I went to law school. But I can't resist.

Apparently PEPPERDINE alum Land Murphy got the highest score on the Texas Bar exam. Land was the legend of the law school when I was a 1L and he was a 3L. I think he ended up getting one of the higest GPAs in its history, or something (but that distinction might go to some other smart guy who went to Pepperdine -- it's hard to keep straight all the rumors that float around that place). I don't know.

He seems to be equally prolific at taking bar exams as law school exams.

What I think is funny/interestng about this story is that he was a bit concerned about some of the essay questions and THOUGHT HE MIGHT END UP FAILING. This just shows what a self-esteem-killer the legal education and qualification process can be. Even if you have genius-level grades and kick everyone else's butt, self-doubt is never very far away. I'm glad he told that story actually, because it shows SELF-DOUBT HAPPENS....even to the best of us.

I don't mean to make light of Land's accomplishment. I know from 2 weeks of doing Bar-Bri that the bar exam is really really really really hard. It will be the most difficult thing I will ever undertake. So to get the highest score in the state is an amazing accomplishment.

Of course I will never get a good enough score to have a story published about me and it on the law school website ("Well, not with that attitude you won't..." would be SP's response to that remark). But that might be a good thing -- too much pressure. The older I get, the more I realize that MORE pressure is really the last thing I need -- I impose plenty of it on myself without any outside help.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home