Friday, July 13, 2007

Barristers Bid Farewell to Wigs

Interesting article in the UK Times online about doing away with wigs for English barristers.

I kind of like the idea of trial lawyers have a uniform, like a wig and a gown, to lend solemnity to the whole occasion. So I am sad about this change. But I'm sure the government is happy to be going away with the wig allowance. I knew they were expensive but I didn't realize they were $5K expensive!

I have been thinking a lot about my Comparative Law class from last semester. Not only did we talk a lot about the English legal system, including barrister wigs, but we also briefly covered Chinese law, and one of the assigned readings was the Chinese constitution, which I think is one of the biggest pieces of propoganda fluff ever committed to paper. I was thinking about that yesterday, when I saw in the NY Times the confession of the Chinese equivalent of the USDA, who was executed recently for taking bribes. It's a fascinating piece of writing by this condemned man who, probably, based on a few other articles I've read about it, really had the country's best interests at heart and just got greedy. In China they don't mess around with that kind of stuff -- you do something like this, you pay the ultimate price.

I bet Duke Cunningham, the former Congressman from San Diego (only in San Diego could a guy like that get elected to so many terms) sure is glad that he lives in America and not China.

Bar studying, of course, continues. I feel at this point like I need to learn the law, make up more mnenomics, and keep pushing forward. But I also kind of feel like reviewing the law is a colossal waste of time at this point because I need to do a million more essays so that I have seen as much as possible and don't panic. They kept telling us in Barbri that the graders really don't care if you know the law or not, but I'm sure they want you to at least know the elements so you can spot issues. If you don't know the minimum contacts test elements for personal jurisdiction, how can you expect to get any points for a PJ answer? So I am pressing on with trying to stuff my brain with as many elements as I can, and then trying to remember them when I do practice essays.

I am also really looking forward to playing hockey this week. I have not really exercised at all and feel fat and lazy. An hour on the ice should cure some of that, at least.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I came over from No Bad Days! Good luck on the bar!

I am a bit confused though... are you in the States, or still in Germany? My family is from Germany and are still sprinkled all over.

And 5k for a wig???

6:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home