Sunday, February 25, 2007

What gets me off the couch and to the rink every week....

I want to expand on something I didn't really cover in "Our Zammer" (below).....

It's important that people understand why I keep going back to the rink every week.

Susie told all the nurses and orderlies in the ER the other night that all the girls in the waiting room, clogging up the aisles in our gold jerseys, were "her family." I have never thought of a hockey team as a family before, but with this team it's really true. It surely took me by surprise how much our girls have pulled together to create the Gold family.

It will be very strange and sad to not see Zam skating out there with us over the next days and months. But everyone feels that, not only one or two people. The best thing is we can talk to each other about it, and hugs and sympathetic ears are never too far away. We all help each other through our hard times.

When I started playing hockey 10 years ago this month I certainly never expected all of this. And it's still the best workout on earth.

If I didn't have something like this, I would never have survived law school, to put it plainly. So when I get my JD in a few months, it will belong as much to the people in my life as it does to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home