Sunday, July 09, 2006

Germany 3 -- Portgual 1 ... Germany Wins 3rd Place

So we went to the Irish Pub last night to see the Germany-Portugal game. It was so much fun. The beleaguered goalie Oliver Kahn played last night in goal for Germany, and it was nice that he got the victory.

(See my original post about the German team's goalie selection process for more information about this gut-wrenching event that happened in April.)

So now Germany is in 3rd place, and the final game tonight between Italy and France will signal the end of the World Cup. Thank goodness.

We had a lot of fun at the pub last night. I hadn't had any beer in a while. SP doesn't drink, so I don't drink much when I'm with him. But I had quite a lot last night. German beer is just so outstanding.

Now I am editing a paper for my friend AB. It's about the "Weisse Rose" student political movement that took place during World War II. I've learned a lot by reading it. I'm not sure if I'm the right person to review a paper in German, because I know that I'm missing some of the grammar and other stuff. But it was nice that she asked me to look at it, and I'm spending a lot of time on it to make sure that I catch as much as possible. That is my way generally with editing. It always takes me twice as long as I think it will. I have looked at a few English papers for people since I've been here as well, and I always try to be thorough. There can be a point where you're just being an a-hole, rather than being helpful, I think. I'm never sure if I've crossed that line. That makes editing tough for me, because I don't want to be an a-hole.

Of course this means that I'm not doing my own work, but all in good time. I want to get started today on my outline for European Union law. There's a whole analysis schematic for what they call "the four freedoms" that I really want to memorize today if possible. Once I get it all down on paper I'll write more about it here. The EU class is very interesting because I didn't know anything about it before I started it. They have some good and nice ideas about how to govern a union of culturally, politically, and socially disparate entities over here. It makes me want to learn more about it.

I also have been having some ideas about American jurisprudence lately and I'm thinking I might want to write something about it. After seeing how judges are selected to serve on the high court over here in Germany, I am thinking that we in America could learn a thing or two from their system. I have been reading all the post-mortem type articles about the Roberts Court's first official term, and what has been striking to me is the decidedly strict alliances that are developing among the justices. I think it's weird that the justices, who I thought were supposed to view each case from a neutral perspective, so often vote along lines of political ideology, and that there's essentially only one "swing justice" left on the Court anymore. I am a liberal but even the fact that the "liberals" on the Court do this really bugs me. Anyway, I have more to say about this than time permits at the moment, but I will talk more about this later once I've formed my ideas and opinions about it more fully.

Back to work. Only a little while left!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home