Friday, June 16, 2006

Contradictions

I just realized that some of the statements in my various posts over here seem fairly contradictory. Bear with me. I'm still working out how I feel about being American (34 years gone and I still haven't really figured it out). Germany has had that effect on me every time. It shows me, in an interesting and peculiar context, the best and worst things about America, and I'm left trying to figure out what it all means.

I also realize that if any hard-core right-wingers stumble on this site, they'll be mad and think I'm unpatriotic for what I'm saying. Nothing could be further from the truth. I feel it's my patriotic duty as an American to not drink the Kool-Aid, to ask questions, and to try understand the role of the United States in a larger global context. In many ways America is still the best country in the world, and more often than not, I'm glad that I'm American and love my country. But I have to admit I'm totally disillusioned at this point -- by the partisanship, the in-fighting, the anger, the fearmongering, and the blatant xenophobia.

Frankly, based on my view in this time and space, America's not "gettin' 'er done" right about now, and I don't like it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home