Monday, June 26, 2006

I *heart* Steve Perry

So, yes, I admit it. I'm a child of the '80's. Since I graduated from high school in 1990 I suppose it's inevitable that I love '80's music. Knowing this, SP sent me a link to a video of one of my favorite Journey songs, Separate Ways.



Steve Perry is looking pretty damn sexy in this one, I have to say. :-)

I was in a bad mood until I watched this. My dad arrived in Germany last night for a visit. He is a staunch conservative/kool-aid drinker. We argued about politics for over an hour in a biergarten last night, and I was still mad this morning when I woke up.

I tried, I really did. I tried to listen, be polite, and understand his point of view. I mean, he came all this way, so I felt the least I could do was hear him out on these issues that are obviously so important to him. Ugh. He insisted on calling Germany part of "old Europe" in a demeaning way (that gets annoying after awhile), saying that Americans aren't coming to visit here because it's "full of Muslims" (who are ruining things at home too because "they want special treatment and don't want to assimilate or follow our laws"). He also thinks I'm a big idiot for not going along with the President's agenda. One example: "You've got your terminology all wrong, you know. It's not the Iraq war...it's a presidential act, AUTHORIZED BY CONGRESS, to combat terrorism." Give me a break. There were no Al-Queda terrorists in Iraq before we went there. Get a clue. He also likes telling me he used to be a liberal democrat when he was young, until he "woke up." It was like having dinner with Rush Limbaugh.

He thinks that the main reasons the liberals are so pissed is because of the (stolen) election in 2000. What he doesn't get is that I'm so much more pissed about being lied to about Iraq and the waste of human lives, resources, and money that's happened since we invaded them. I'm much more pissed that the conservatives control the White House, the Senate, the House, and the Supreme Court, with no end to that in sight. I'm much more pissed about conservatives calling my patriotism into question because I don't fall lock-step into place behind the President. I'm much more pissed about Cheney, Rumsfeld, and Bolton.

Anyway, it's making me angry to talk about it now. It's much nicer to watch old Journey videos and have a giggle at Steve Perry.

My dad is only here for a few more days, and then I won't see him again for a long while. I feel bad because it was really nice of him to come all the way over here to visit me. But I so detest his politics that it makes me not want to talk to him anymore.

I guess I should try to be more like my hockey buddy NB. Her partying skills are legendary, as evidenced by a quote on her facebook page: "I don't know much about Republicans or Democrats, I only know that I really like parties." Maybe apathy is the answer when reality just pisses you off too much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home