Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Antenne Bayern Dings-bums Contest (From 4/8/06)

Oh yeah, this one is more fun than a whole barrel of monkeys. Antenne Bayern is a radio station that plays 80’s, 90’s and the best of today (whoever came up with that phrase should’ve copyrighted it, there must be a million radio stations worldwide that use it to describe their playlists). I think Antenne Bayern broadcasts throughout the state of Bavaria. I only get about 5 stations 100% crystal clear on my little clock radio, and Antenne Bayern is one of them, so I listen to it fairly often (when I’m not watching my Friends DVDs anyway).

They’re having this crazy contest where you have to try to guess the thingamajig (dings-bums) that they’re describing. Believe it or not, in the current contest, the callers have been having trouble figuring out the identity of the dings-bums, and the prize money currently stands at 58,000 Euros.

How much is that? SP told me to calculate dollars from Euros, I should add 20%. 10% of 58,000 is 5,800, doubled that is 11,600. 11,600 + 58,000 = um…wait for it…$69,600!! (Math was never my strength.)

Wow, that is a hell of a lot of money.

How they give clues is they have this little guy (Niels) with this high squeaky voice come on and talk about it. It’s obviously a man trying to sound like a kid, and it’s totally hilarious to listen to him. So far the little guy has given the following clues:

1. Playgrounds need a lot of dings-bums.
2. They also have dings-bums at public swimming pools.
3. People should not bring dings-bums home with them.
4. Dings-bums are very heavy.

I have only heard three guesses so far (I always tune in at seemingly the wrong time) – benches, trees, and tires. Those are all wrong. So if you have any ideas send them to me and if there is a particularly good one I’ll phone in your guess. If it’s the winner we split it 50-50. But don’t ask me to calculate how much that is.

(Post Script from 4/18/06 -- after about a million guesses of "benches" some lady phoned in with the winning answer (bike stands) and took home 61,000 Euros...sheesh)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home