Thursday, March 30, 2006

Munich this weekend

So I just reserved a hotel for two nights in Munich. You might be asking yourself why, since Munich is only 1/2 an hour from Augsburg on the train. A few reasons:

1. I have a ticket to the symphony in Munich tomorrow (Friday) night, and the concert starts at 8pm. Mozart with the Bayerischer Rundfunk Orchester. Should be interesting.

2. I don't know how far the Munich train station is from the symphony hall, but JS's apartment (where I'm staying) is at least 1/2 an hour away from the Augsburg station, and I don't like running around by myself that late, trying to find busses, etc.

3. JS's apartment is fine, but the shower is teeny and the water runs either too hot or too cold all the time, and I want a few days with a nice hotel shower/bath before I move into my own apartment on Monday.

4. I want to watch some TV.

Initially, I thought those reasons were not good enough to justify a 100-Euro hotel bill, but I was talking to SP about it and he convinced me it would be okay to spend the money, relax, and enjoy myself. So I booked it. I am actually pretty excited. Everyone I have ever known who has been to Munich loves it. My Bavaria book has a huge section on Munich, so I'll know where to go and how to get there.

The administrative things are all just about wrapped up -- I got my residence permit and I registered with the local authorities, and managed to get that done within about an hour this morning. Wunderbar. The main thing I have left to do is call the "Hausmeister" (landlord, I guess) of the student housing and confirm that I can move in there Monday at 8am. I hate using the phone over here and have been putting it off as long as possible. But I need to make sure I'm squared away for Monday, so I have to bite the bullet and just do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home