Friday, April 28, 2006

Augsburg Mozarthaus & Bench Dancing at Plaerrer

So on Friday I didn't have any classes, and I devoted myself to a few hours of reading philosophy. Wow, that is hard. After that I deserved some fun, so AB and I went to the Mozarthaus (where our friend AO works), and we toured that for a while. It's the house that Mozart's father was born in, and it is very tastefully done and impressive. We then did a little shopping, came back and dropped the stuff off, and then went back to the Plaerrer, which is the fair we were also at last weekend.

We were there early, so we could sit in the small beer tent and eat chicken and drink Thorbraeu (one of the local Augsburg breweries) Pils. Yummy. Then we went next door to the big beer hall, where things were just getting started. A group of very fun and interesting Germans ended up sitting next to us, and we spent a happy couple of hours clinking glasses with them and laughing. We also engaged in the favored celebratory activity of drunken Germans -- dancing on the benches. Apparently you are not allowed to dance on the tables, but if the mood takes you and you need to get higher up and shake your booty, you can do so on the benches. A German told me that it's common that people get so carried away during bench-dancing that they break the bench and they have to pay 20 Euros (no word on if they get to take their broken bench home though). What was really funny is that AB is only about 4'11", and the guy next to her (who drank two liters of beer in about 45 minutes and spent the rest of the time looking at her with a dreamy smile on his face) must have been about 6'3", and when she stood on the bench he was still taller than her. Darn, it was cute. I took a lot of pictures of them. The group also included some hockey players who knew EVERYTHING about the NHL -- I was so happy to talk puck. And there was a lovely and sweet girl in their crowd too, the girlfriend of one of the guys. She was having a night off from being with her two kids and she took every advantage.

It was one of the most fun nights I've had since I've been in Germany, I must say. I was feeling a little down in the dumps that day so it was perfect to drink some beer and do some bench dancing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home