Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Another Friday Night in Munich (From Sat. 4/15/06)

So after staying the night in Straubing, I left late Friday morning to go to Munich to meet some of the people from the Neuschwanstein tour. We had arranged to meet at the Hofbrauehaus at 7pm. This meant I had quite a few hours to kill beforehand, so I went and saw a movie for the first time in a year and a half. The only one that was just about to start when I showed up at the 18-screen theater was “Ice Age II.” It was surprisingly cute and entertaining, and it was fun to sit in the theater and hear all the little kids around me laughing at the silly jokes.

Then I had some dinner and finally it was time to head to the Hofbrauehaus. Roland, Al, and I were waiting in front when Laura came out and said they already had a table inside. “They” meant, in addition to Laura and Amanda, the tour guide from the Dachau tour they’d done that day (A French-Tunisien guy who was friendly and very striking in a French-Tunisien way), and two more American girls who were studying in Scotland and in Munich for the weekend.

So we drank the big beers and ate food and talked about a lot of different stuff. Unfortunately, one of the young American girls in our group was apparently not used to drinking, and as it turned out she had a bad night ahead of her. I have learned to let my drink last me awhile, since the beer here is strong and I usually need to be coherent enough to navigate a significant amount of public transportation to make my way back to Augsburg. Plus, drinking to the point of incoherence is not really that fun for me, and makes me feel more uncomfortable than good at this point in my life.

Anyway, this young girl had apparently not learned this lesson yet. She finished 3 of the huge beers within the span of just over two hours (I finished about ¾ of one, and that was enough for me). By the time we decided to move on to Roland’s favorite Irish pub, she was not looking too great. Of course she had not eaten, and she refused all offers of food at the pub. Within 45 minutes of our being there she had been copiously sick and her friend was forced to apologize repeatedly on her behalf and steer her back to the youth hostel.

Ugh. I hope she has learned her lesson and will not do that to herself again. I’m sure she won’t want to touch a drink again soon in any event. I suppose we have all been there, and everyone in our group was exceedingly nice about the whole thing. I hope she is okay now.

We stayed quite late at the pub, and I missed my train back to Augsburg, so I spent an uncomfortable night on the floor of Amanda and Laura’s hotel room. Luckily I had clothes, toothbrush, etc. with me since I’d come directly from Straubing, and I ended up wearing three layers of clothes, plus my winter coat, gloves, and hat, and I was still freezing and barely got any sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home